Wednesday, January 6, 2010

It only takes a spark

JBJ

I came home with many feelings and thoughts after attending the commemoration event to mark the birthday of the late Mr. J. B. Jeyaretnam (JBJ).  It was a weird feeling being there and later when Mr. Goh Meng Seng mentioned he came from the "lost generation" of those born in the 70's, it became clear why I felt that way.  I was a 39 year old among the crowd of younger people in their 20s and those in their 50s and older.  Mr. Goh is also 39 and he shared of how our generation grew up being chided by parents not to criticize the government.  Any discussion about the government was hush hush and I recall that some of my respect for Mr. Lee Kuan Yew contained an element of fear.

I never had to question about politics in Singapore, so besides fear, there could also be complacency as life flowed on smoothly from schooling to working life.  Overcoming a mid-life career switch had probably set off a series of questions about life; questions about my own philosophy of life, religion, and now history and politics.  Most questions are unsettling because it opens up the possibility for change.

Exploring the alternative and often silent history about Singapore agitated me as I learned of how voices had been suppressed for many years.  As a narrative therapist I believe that the dominant story often does not describe life in its full richness, and that the subordinate stories provide openings for greater meaning making in life.

At the same time, I also feel heartened that Singapore has many heroic figures in its history.  JBJ and many others like Mr. Said Zahari and Dr. Lim Hock Siew are heroic because they stood firm on their beliefs; beliefs which they held onto dearly in the face of lawsuits, bankruptcy, incarceration, and even threat of death.  I am hopeful they will eventually be recognized for their contributions.

At the commemoration I was touched by some personal anecdotes about JBJ, one of which is that he bore no personal hatred against any politician.  It was a stark contrast to the feeling of vindictiveness experienced by ex-political prisoners such as Mr. Said Zahari.

Ms. Sylvia Toh interviewed me on why I was there.  "I'm here to observe, to listen, and to respect someone  who offered an alternative voice."  Overall I feel energized and privileged to have been a witness to the event.

No comments: