Sunday, November 4, 2012

Communion - A reflection on All Souls' and All Saints' Day

IMG_4030 In most Christian versions of the Apostles' Creed, the "communion of saints" refers to the relationship between those present here, those who have died, and those yet to come. How does this relationship become real between the living, the dead, and the unborn? Is this something that requires a leap of faith?
Walking slowly in the moonlight through the rows of tea plants, I noticed my mother was still with me. She was the moonlight caressing me as she had done so often, very tenderly, very sweet... wonderful! 
Each time my feet touched the earth I knew my mother was there with me. I knew this body was not mine alone but a living continuation of my mother and father and my grandparents and great-grandparents. Of all my ancestors. These feet that I saw as "my" feet were actually "our" feet. Together my mother and I were leaving footprints in the damp soil.
-- Thich Nhat Hanh 

Perhaps what is needed is deep insight gained through experiencing our world as it is

不生不灭,无来无去,无同无异,无存在无不存在。 
-- 一行禅师 

No comments: